Monday, August 31, 2009

Thing #9: Library Related Blogs and News Feeds

In exploring other options to find and subscribe to feeds, Syndic8.com has the easiest search box to use. I simply typed in the search box what I was looking for (Harry Potter, book reviews, etc) and found many relevant hits that I could scroll through. I did not like the other two as much and cannot comment on Feedster because everytime I tried to go to the webpage I couldn't get it to open. I also like Syndic8.com for their browseable categories. Topix was confusing because while I could find plenty of news, I did not see how one would locate a specific feed topic to subscribe to. I found the World Wide World Newsletter feed to be one of the unuseful feeds, unless a person was specifically interested in etymology. I would think, for the average user, a web site, and not a feed, would be more useful. An unusual feed is one called Smurfs' Garden (as in the blue cartoon characters!). Other tools to find news feeds would be to go to news web sites themselves ie television stations or newspaper web sites. There a person could add their RSS feed if the website has one one. Also a person could use Google News to find a web site they would like to add as a feed if available.

No comments:

Post a Comment