Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Thing # 12 - Rollyo

Here's the link to my Rollyo site:

http://rollyo.com/harrypotterfan/harry_potter_news/


It was a fun exercise and the site is very user friendly. I simply created an account and then could create my own Rollyo. I could make it private or public, depending on my preference, and give it tags so others can find it more easily. It seems similar to an RSS feed in that I could put all my favorite Harry Potter news websites in one spot and check them. But a wonderful feature is that I can search inside them. For example, I typed in Deathly Hallows and it searched all the websites I had for information on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Just as a searcher alone, you can personalize your page. And the tags I listed help link my Rollyo search engine to other similar search engines!

This is another great time saver for keeping up to date on news. A user could easily set up their favorite news websites as a Rollyo and then search for a specific news item. Or set up a Rollyo with news from their work profession. Or, like I did, just set up one for an interest. For libraries, a great application would be setting up authoritative sources for patrons on specific subject areas like art, science, buisness, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment