Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thing # 19-Web 2.0 Awards

I choose Last for my site to blog about. The site won a Web 2.0 Award in the category of music.
http://www.last.fm/

I really enjoyed this site which I am calling the YouTube of music. I liked a lot of the features on this site. Very user friendly to search for music artists which includes biography, videos, pictures, albums, tracks to listen to, events/tours, news, and they also rate them on the charts by the users. The site also includes great social features by allowing users to form social groups, rate music, link to blogs, leave comments, and, perhaps most important, allow users to find similar artists. It's what I like to call m.a.-music advisory. The one thing I didn't like was a clearly defined advanced search. The advanced search is reached by typing a search term in the upper right hand search box. But one doesn't know that as it's not clearly labeled. The most useful features of the site are the biographies, pictures, videos, news, as well as the social aspect of finding similar music. I think that last part is the most useful application for libraries. The biograhy section is not very extensive for research but I think patrons would find it good for videos and pictures. I think it is a good tool for librarians (especially public or music librarians) to give good music advisory help to patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment